Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Trestle Support

Quite near yesterday's freight cars is today's railroad trestle. A trestle is a supporting structure, a bridge framework that spans a low or empty space, allowing the rails above to be straight, smooth, and level.

True support doesn't call attention to itself. A perfectly constructed trestle is one that is unnoticed by the passing train above. A trestle exists not for itself, but for the highway or railroad tracks it holds.

So if I want to support someone, I'll do it best if I keep the focus on them rather than on me. The moment I say, "Please notice how hard I'm working to support you" then I stop being supportive. Today's cross reminds us that trestle ministry is beautiful; the cross, after all, is the ultimate symbol of support. Order a print of this cross





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!