Friday, April 13, 2007

Thicket

When I'm trying to make a biblical connection to one of my crosses, I do word searches in the concordance I have stored on my computer. The last few days the word has been "bud."

This is a photo of a thicket. I assumed that the word "thicket" never appeared in the Bible (I'm using an NIV concordance), but I checked anyway. To my surprise, it appears 17 times, all in the Old Testament, both in stories and in prophecy.

The first is Genesis 22:13, where a thicket holds some extremely good news for Isaac:
"Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son."

It seems appropriate to find a cross--the Christian salvation image--in a thicket, from which Isaac's salvation came.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Visitor Map
Create your own visitor map!